Season Dates: Teams will begin the season on Tuesday, November 7th, 2017 and end on March 19, 2017
Practice/Training/Open Gym: Each team will practice twice a week for 90-minutes each practice. Practices will be held at Parcells, Pierce, Brownell, GPA or GPS. In addition to the weekly practices, the staff will offer bi-weekly structured open gym. This will give the players a chance to get up and down the floor and just play!
League Play: The boys Lakers teams will play in the AAU Sanctioned Detroit Leagues-(D-League). GP Lakers teams will compete in the Fall-II, Winter-I and Winter-II D-Leagues... The D-Leagues provide mid-level AAU competition, weekly games, local venues and appropriate age brackets. Go to www.mwabasketball.com for more info.
The girls Lakers teams will play in the Saturday I-94 travel League- (Session-I & Session-II). Games will be played in Ann Arbor, Jackson, Grosse Pointe & Flat Rock. Teams will also travel to Flint, Saginaw & Lansing for tournaments. Note: Teams could also play in the Sunday D-League as needed.
- All teams make the play-offs-Gold/Silver/Bronze divisions
- 1st & 2nd place team trophies and individual awards
- First class facilities/State certified seasoned referees for ALL games
- Weekly scheduling to accommodate your game requests
- Doubleheaders with less time between games-Get in and get home…
League Age Divisions: Girls-3rd/4th, 5th & 6th | Boys- 1st/2nd/3rd, 3rd/4th, 5th & 6th grade divisions.
League Locations: Harper Woods High School will be the home facility for the D-League and several additional facilities will be used to host the league-(Lakeview HS, South Lake HS, Macomb College, Madison HS, etc.). The I-94 league will be hosted at Saline HS, Flat Rock HS & GP South HS.
Tournaments: We encourage teams to find their own tournaments that will be local in distance-(no longer then a 2-hour drive). AAU friendship tournaments are played on Saturdays or Sundays during the season. To travel to the events, teams should have a minimum of a 7-person roster.
New for 2017-18-Each team will be responsible for selecting their own tournaments and collecting the entry fees for the events from the parents on your team. Please contact Steve Benard for help with selecting tournaments that will be a good fit for your team.
- Each event will have a spectator charge to enter events. This is a very common practice for AAU leagues and tournaments. Cost is usually $3-$5 for adults and $2-$3 for children 10-17, 9 and younger are usually no charge.
- Tournament schedules will be available on Thursday evenings and emailed to you.
- The 3rd grade boys will most likely play some events in the 4th grade division.
- The 3rd/4th grade girls will most likely play some events in the 5th grade division.
- Even though a tournament has advertised age groups, there could be a instance where there is not enough teams and the division or event will be cancelled. If this happens, we will do our best to find an alternative event that makes sense for each team.
- 1st/2nd grade boys will play in league play only, no tournaments.
We look forward to a great travel season for 2016-17. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Stephen Benard | 313-580-0351 or email@example.com